Sunday, November 13, 2011

Lab Experience- Week Two

This week was a very exciting week because I was able to teach two lessons! The first lesson I taught them was about a story called “Twister.” During this story, the students were to find the key words for the lesson. These key words described the warning signs and aftermath of a tornado and of bad weather in general. To start the lesson, I divided the students into two groups and labeled them voice one and voice two. I then had the students do a chant where group one would say something and group two would reply. After the chant, as a class we went over the key words in the chant. I handed out a copy of the definitions of the key words for the students to use as a reference. After this, I passed out the key words written on note cards. There were several sentences written on chart paper that were in context with the key words, yet the key words themselves were omitted. The students had to match their key word with the correct sentence. Once this was done, I had another piece of chart paper divided into three sections, “Seen, Heard, and Felt.” The students had to match their key word with which sense that it would trigger. For the independent practice, I had the students complete a works sheet. After the worksheet, I had the students draw a picture of a storm and then describe it with as many key words as possible. The students were so attentive and excited about the lesson. I was so glad to see that they enjoyed the lesson and it was also a fun way for them to learn vocabulary words in a new way.
The second lesson was a continuation of the first lesson. Now that the children knew and understood the vocabulary words for the story "Twister" we started actually reading the story. While the children were reading I asked them comprehension questions and we filled out a graphic organizer to help them document the most important facts throughout the beginning, middle, and end of the story.
After this week of teaching and seeing how well the children reacted I am very excited to teach the remaining lessons and be able to interact more with them!

1 comment:

  1. Can't wait to hear about the follow-up lessons! These sound so engaging and fun!

    ReplyDelete